Great Big Green Walk & Litter Pick
Monday 12 June 2023
ABOUT THIS SESSION
Join us for a special session of our walking group to celebrate Great Big Green Week by litter-picking during our guided walk round the beautiful Watercolour Lakes. The Great Big Green Week is the UK’s biggest ever celebration of community action to tackle climate change and protect nature. #GreatBigGreenWeek
Picking up litter helps the environment by:
- Saving money by reducing the cost of litter clean-up.
- Making the environment more aesthetically pleasing.
- Protecting wildlife by stopping them from confusing litter for food or nesting materials.
- Reducing the risk of children picking up litter out of curiosity.
- Preventing litter from harming aquatic ecosystems.
We will provide the litter pickers and bags and we will start from Wingfield Resource Centre as usual and heading out on a guided group walk and litter pick around the beautiful Watercolour Lakes, led by our two walk leaders.
The Watercolour Walk is a perfect opportunity to balance keeping our minds and bodies healthy, all whilst we enjoy the great outdoors with some excellent company.
As a thank you, there will be complimentary refreshments available afterwards in our Safe Haven room for those who would like to stay on a while longer.
WHO CAN JOIN THESE SESSIONS
Anyone who lives in Surrey and is over the age of 18.
HOW THE SESSIONS ARE RUN
The walking group meet outside the Wingfield Centre at 13:00 and depart together from there.
HOW TO JOIN
There is no need to book as this walk is open to anyone. However, there is a short registration form to sign up to the walking groups: Sign up to Ramblers Wellbeing Walks
For the Preferred Wellbeing Walking Group, select ‘Ramblers Wellbeing Walks East Surrey’.
After signing up, you will receive an email containing a QR code which confirms registration. You can then turn up to any walk run by YMCA East Surrey and the Walk Leader will scan your QR code to register attendance.
OTHER USEFUL INFORMATION
- You don’t need expensive walking boots, but it can be muddy at times, so wear something suitable for the conditions.
- When necessary, bring a waterproof jacket or an umbrella.
- Bring a drink with you to remain hydrated.
- If necessary, please speak to a healthcare professional before increasing your activity levels.